Wednesday, August 02, 2006

The Secrets of Comedy: Wild Conjecture

Here's a fun game you folks at home can play. In your every day life, you'll run into an occasion when you'll just need to talk to somebody about nothing in particular. The best way to entertain yourself in any particularly boring conversation is to attempt to drastically render the conversation beyond the bounds of the real. I call this game 'Wild conjecture'. The more extreme you can get it (without violating the needs of decency), the better.

Let me give you an example of Wild Conjecture. Let's say there's an unpleasant smell at my job. Let's say, we know it comes from the basement, but has been thusfar unidentified. I resolve that in all subjects discussing the bad smell, I'm going pin the stink on something specific. The conversation with my coworkers goes as such...

Me: "Say, that's some awful smell, isn't it?"
Them: "Yeah, like sewage."
Me: "Or... like somebody died."
Them (laughing, uncomfortably): "Yeah... I suppose."
Me: "Say... you know... I bet that smell? It's part of a trap."
Them (vaguely bewildered): "What?"
Me: "Set by a beast."
Them: ...
Me: "A creature who wants to lure prey down to investigate the smell. A creature with pincers, and fur."
Them (not liking where this is going one bit): "What?"
Me: "Like... a rat-scorpion."
Them (said because nothing else seems appropriate): What?
Me: "A rat scorpian. A foul rat/scorpian hybrid, possessed of furry body and vicious, scorpion tail. Clearly, it's killed some hapless fool, and lef their body in the basement to attract further victims."
Them (questioning my sanity): "Martin, there's something wrong with you."
Me: "Rat-scorpion. All I'm saying."

This practice has resulted in several following jokes: The rat-scorpion in the basement, Scott Kurtz of the webcomic PVP eats snausages, and that I've been rolling bums in the park to find the one who jingles (and therefore, stole the change out of my car).

Your homework, class... Make a wild conjecture with somebody you know when things seem emminently dull.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home